Angkor Hospital for Children recognizes the importance of evidence-based medicine, obtaining data specific to Cambodia and sharing findings to health care workers. We collect high-quality, reliable data that can be used to create medical and health procedures and recommendations that will be most effective for the Cambodian population.
AHC has been involved in independent and collaborative research. Partners have included: Wellcome Trust (UK), Mahidol University (Thailand), Brown University (USA), Médécins Sans Frontières (France), and University of California, San Francisco (USA).
Recognizing the importance of confidentiality and the need to protect patients from undue harm, the hospital established an Internal Review Board (IRB) in 2004. The IRB has been certified by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and Federal Wide Assurance for the Protection of Human Subjects for International (Non-U.S.) Institutions.
A complete list of published research, as well as current studies, is available.
AHC published research
- Catrin E Moore, Phot Nget, Mao Saroeun, Suy Kuong, Seng Chanthou, Varun Kumar, Rachel Bousfield, Johanna Nader, Wendi Bailey, Nicholas J Beeching, Nicholas PJ Day, Christopher M Parry.Intestinal Parasite Infections in Symptomatic Children attending Hospital in Siem Reap, Cambodia.PLoS ONE 2015; 10(5): e0123719
- Catrin E Moore, Soeng Sona, Sar Poda, Hor Putchhat, Varun Kumar, Sun Sopheary, Nicole Stoesser, Rachel Bousfield, Nicholas Day, Christopher M Parry. Antimicrobial susceptibility of uropathogens isolated from children attending a pediatric hospital in Siem Reap, North West Cambodia, 2007-2011. Paediatrics and International Child Health; published early online 23rd Feb 2015 (not yet in print)
- Michael J Carter, Kate R Emary, Catherine E Moore, Christopher M Parry, Soeng Sona, Hor Putchhat, Sin Reaksmey, Ngoun Chanpheaktra, Nicole Stoesser, Andrew DM Dobson, Nicholas PJ Day, Varun Kumar, Stuart D Blacksell. Rapid diagnostic tests for dengue virus infection in febrile Cambodian children: Diagnostic accuracy and incorporation into diagnostic algorithms.PLOS NTD 2015; 9(2): e0003424
- Phara Khauv, Paul Turner, Channy Soeng, Sona Soeng, Catrin E Moore, Rachel Bousfield, Nicole Stoesser, Kate Emary, Duy Pham Thanh, Stephen Baker, Vu thi Ty Hang, Rogier Van Doorn, Nicholas PJ Day and Christopher M Parry. Ophthalmic infections in children presenting to Angkor Hospital for Children, Siem Reap, Cambodia.BMC Research Notes 2014; 7: 784
- Katherine Emary, Michael Carter, Sreymom Pol, Soeng Sona, Varun Kumar, Nicholas Day, Christopher Parry, Catrin Moore.Urinary antibiotic activity in paediatric patients attending an outpatient department in north western Cambodia.Tropical Medicine & International Health; published early online 16th Oct 2014 (not yet in print)
- Elizabeth Keating, Phot Nget, Sreng Kea, Suy Kuong, Leng Daly, Seng Phearom, Felicity Enders, Lynn Cheryk, Mark Topazian, Philip Fischer, Varun Kumar. Thiamine Deficiency in Tachypneic Cambodian Infants.Paediatrics and International Child Health; published early online 27th Oct 2014 (not yet in print)
- J. M. Pocock, P. A. Khun, C. E. Moore, S. Vuthy, N. Stoesser, C. M. Parry.
Septic arthritis of the hip in a Cambodian child caused by multidrug-resistant Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi with intermediate susceptibility to ciprofloxacin treated with ceftriaxone and azithromycin.Paediatrics and International Child Health 2014; 34(3): 227-229
- Catrin Moore, Wirichada Pan-Ngum, Lalith Wijedoru, Soeng Sona, Tran, Vu Thieu Nga, Pham Thanh Duy, Phat Voong Vinh, Kheng Chheng, Varun Kumar, Kate Emary, Michael Carter, Lisa White, Stephen Baker, Nicholas Day, Christopher Parry. Evaluation of the Diagnostic Accuracy of a Typhoid IgM Flow Assay for the Diagnosis of Typhoid Fever in Cambodian Children Using a Bayesian Latent Class Model Assuming an Imperfect Gold Standard American Journal of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene 2014; 90(1): 114-120
- Nicole Stoesser, Catrin E. Moore, Joanna M. Pocock, Khun Peng An, Kate Emary, Michael Carter, Soeng Sona, Sar Poda, Nicholas Day, Varun Kumar, Christopher M. Parry.
Pediatric bloodstream infections at Angkor Hospital for Children, Siem Reap, Cambodia, 2007-2011. Pediatric Infectious Diseases Journal 2013; 32(7): e272-e276
- Kheng Chheng, Michael J Carter, Kate Emary, Ngoun Chanpheaktra, Catrin E Moore, Nicole Stoesser, Hor Putchhat, Soeng Sona, Sin Reaksmey, Paul Kitsutani, Borann Sar, H. Rogier van Doorn, Nguyen Hanh Uyen, Le Van Tan, Daniel Paris, Stuart D Blacksell, Premjit Amornchai, Vanaporn Wuthiekanun, Christopher M Parry, Nicholas PJ Day, Varun Kumar.
A prospective study of the causes of febrile illness requiring hospitalization in children in Cambodia.PLoS ONE 2013; 8(4): e60634
- Nicole Stoesser, Kate Emary, Seng Soklin, Khun Peng An, Som Sophal, Sinn Chhomrath, Nicholas PJ Day, D Limmathurotsakul, Phot Nget, Yos Pangnarith, Soeng Sona, Varun Kumar, Catrin E Moore, Ngoun Chanpheaktra, Chris M Parry.
The value of intermittent point-prevalence surveys of healthcare-associated infections for evaluating infection control interventions at Angkor Hospital for Children, Siem Reap, Cambodia. Transactions of Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 2013; 107(4): 248-253.
- N Stoesser, J Pocock, CE Moore, S Soeng, H Put Chhat, P Sar, D Limmathurotsakul, N Day, V Kumar, K Sophy, V Sar, CM Parry. “The epidemiology of pediatric bone and joint infections in Cambodian children, 2007-2011”.Journal of Tropical Pediatrics 2013; 59(1): 36-42.
- Kate Emary, Ngoun Chanpheaktra, Khun Peng An, Catrin E Moore, Kheng Chheng, Soeng Sona, Duy Pham Thanh, Tran Vu Thieu Nga, Vanaporn Wuthiekanun, Premjit Amornchai, Varun Kumar, Nicole E Stoesser, Michael J Carter, Stephen Baker, Nicholas PJ Day, Christopher M Parry. Enteric fever in Cambodian children is dominated by multidrug resistant H58 Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi with decreased ciprofloxacin susceptibility.Transactions of Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 2012; 106(12): 718-724
- Alma M Martinez, Dung Thi Khanh Khu, Nem Yun Boo, Leakhena Neou, Bounnack Saysanasongkham, John Colin Partridge. Barriers to neonatal care in developing countries: Parents’ and providers’ perceptions.Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health 2012; 48(9): 852-858
- Nicole Stoesser, Joanna Pocock, Catrin E. Moore, Sona Soeng, Hor Put Chhat, Poda Sar, Direk Limmathruotsakul, Nicholas Day, Vann Thy, Vuthy Sar, Christopher M Parry. Pediatric suppurative parotitis: a case series in Cambodia 2007-2011.Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 2012; 31(8): 865-868. (note: this article starts at the bottom of the first page)
- Lov Ke, Khun Peng An, Sing Heng, Maria Riley, Soeng Sona, Catrin E Moore, Christopher M Parry, Nicole Stoesser, Ngoun Chanpheaktra Paediatric Chromobacterium violaceum in Cambodia: the first documented case.Tropical Doctor 2012; 42: 178-179
- CE Moore, H Put Chhat, S Sona, S Sopheary, SJ Lee, CM Parry. NPJ Day, and N Stoesser.Changing Patterns of Gastrointestinal Parasite Infectionsin Cambodian Children: 2006–2011″.Journal of Tropical Pediatrics 2012; 58(6): 509-512
- BP Westley, AK DeLong, CS Tray, D Sophearin, EM Dufort, E Nerrienet, L Schreier, JI Harwell, and R Kantor.Prediction of Treatment Failure Using 2010 World Health Organization Guidelines Is Associated With High Misclassification Rates and Drug Resistance Among HIV-Infected Cambodian Children”.Clinical Infectious Diseases 2012; 55(3): 432-440
- Chanpheaktra Ngoun, Lina Saem Stoey, Katja van’t Ende, Varun Kumar. Creating a Cambodia-specific developmental milestone screening tool – A pilot study. Early Human Development 2012; 88: 379-385
- LPM Wijedoru, V Kumar, N Chanpheaktra, K Chheng, HL Smits, R Pastoor, TVT Nga, S Baker, V Wuthiekanun, SJ Peacock, H Putchhat, & CM Parry. (2011). Typhoid Fever among Hospitalized Febrile Children in Siem Reap, Cambodia.Journal of Tropical Pediatrics 2012; 58(1)
- Emma K. Nickerson, Vanaporn Wuthiekanun, Varun Kumar, Premjit Amornchai, Nattavut Wongdeethai, Kheng Chheng, Narisara Chantratita, Hor Putchhat, Janjira Thaipadungpanit, Nicholas P. Day, Sharon J. Peacock. Emergence of community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus carriage in children in Cambodia.American Journal of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene 2011; 84(2): 313-317
- Isaakidis, P., Raguenaud, M., Te, V., Tray, C.S., Akao, K., Kumar, V., Ngin, S., Nerrienet, E. & Zachariah, R. (2010). High survival and treatment success sustained after 2 and 3 years of first-line ART for children in Cambodia. Journal of the International AIDS Society; 13: 11
- Yos, P., Kumar, V., Thaipadungpanit, J., Wuthiekanun, V., Lina, S., Day, N.P.J. & Peacock, S.J. (2010). Emergence of pediatric melioidosis in Siem Reap, Cambodia. American Journal of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene; 82(6): 1106
- Chheng, K., Tarquinio, S., Wuthiekanun, V., Sin, L., Thaipadungpanit, J., Amornchai, P., Ngoun, C.P., Tumapa, S., Putchhat, H., Day, N.P.J. & Peacock, S.J. (2009). Emergence of community-associated methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus associated with pediatric infection in Cambodia. PLoS ONE; 4(8): e6630.
- Copelovitch, L., Orng, S.O., Taraquinio, S. & Ngoun C.P. (2009). Childhood nephrotic syndrome in Cambodia: An association with gastrointestinal parasites. Journal Of Pediatrics.
- Raguenaud, M., Isaakidis, P., Zachariah, R., Te, V., Soeung, S., Akao, K. & Kumar, V. (2009). Excellent outcomes among HIV+ children on ART, but unacceptably high pre-ART mortality and losses to follow-up: a cohort study from Cambodia. BMC Pediatrics; 9:54.
- Wuthiekanun, V., Ngoun, C.P., Hor. P., Sin, L., Bun, S., Kumar, V., Langla, S., Peacock, S.J. & Day, N.P. (2008). Burkholderia pseudomallei antibodies in children, Cambodia. Emerging Infectious Diseases; 14(2): 30 (2008).
- Janssens, B., Raleigh, B., Soeung, S., Akao, K., Te, V., Gupta, J., Vun, M.C., Ford, N., Nouhin, J. & Nerrienet E. (2007). Effectiveness of highly active antiretroviral therapy in HIV-positive children: evaluation at 12 months in a routine program in Cambodia. American Journal of Pediatrics; 120(5): e1134-e1140.
- Carnley, B.P., Prior, J.F., Gilbert, A., Lim, E., Devenish, R., Sing, H., Eng, S., Guhadasan, R., Sullivatles, A.H., Chan, K. Wong, M., Chan, V. & Erber, W.N. (2006). The prevalence and molecular basis of hemoglobinopathies in Cambodia. Hemoglobin; 30(4): 463
- Guhadasan, R. & Ngeth, P. (2005). Genetic disorders in a paediatric hospital in Cambodia. Annals of Human Biology; 32(2): 188
AHC research presented at international conferences
- Tep, N., Kumar,V., Rockney, R. & Alario, T. “Traditional alternative healing practices for sick children in Cambodia” presented by Mr. Navy (AHC senior nurse) at Pediatric Academic Societies conference in Canada May 2010
- Wijedoru, L., Kumar, V., Kheng, C., Smits, H., Pastoor, R., Baker, S., Peacock S.J., Wuthiekanun, V., Putchhat, H. & Parry, C. “An IgM Flow Assay As A Rapid Diagnostic Test (Rdt) For Typhoid (Enteric) Fever In Cambodian Children” presented by Dr. Wijedoru (Liverpool Univ) at 28th Annual Meeting of the European Society for Paediatric Infectious Diseases in France May 2010
- Ngoun, C.P., Kumar, V., Saem Stoey, L. & Van’t Ende, K. “Creation Of Cambodia-Specific Developmental Milestone Screening Tool” presented by Dr. Pheaktra at International Pediatric Association conference in South Africa August 201o
- Chheng, K., Tarquinio, S., Wuthiekanun, V., Sin, L. & Thaipadungpanit, J. “Emergence of community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus carriage in children in Cambodia” presented by Oxford staff at the Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy in USA September 2010
- Yos, P., Kumar, V., Ngoun, C.P. & Reynolds, J. “Septic shock protocol stressing aggressive fluid resuscitation decreases mortality of children with sepsis in a resource-limited setting” presented by Dr. Pagnarith at Society of Critical Care Medicine’s 38th Critical Care Congress in USA February 2009
- Alario, A., Keo, S., Kumar, V., Rockney, R. & Tep, N. “Health services use and barriers to seeking care in a resource-limited setting: a survey of families presenting to Angkor Hospital for Children in Cambodia” presented by Mr. Navy (AHC senior nurse) at Pediatric Academic Societies conference in USA May 2009
- Isaakidis, P., Raguenaud, M.E., Vantha, T., Chhraing, S.T., Akao, K., Kumar, V., Ngin, S., Nerrienet, E. & Zachariah, R. “High survival and treatment success sustained after 2 and 3 years of ART for children in Cambodia” presented by MSF staff at International AIDS Society Conference in South Africa July 2009
- Yos, P., Chhomrath, S., Reynolds, J. & Kumar, V. “Nasal CPAP protocol reduces intubation and improves mortality in a resource-poor setting” presented by Dr. Pagnarith at Society of Critical Care Medicine’s 37th Critical Care Congress in USA February 2008
- Yos, P., Chhomrath, S., Reynolds, J. & Kumar, V. “CPAP protocol reduces intubation and mortality in resource limited settings” presented by Ms. Chhomrath (AHC Head of ICU Nursing) at 13th International Congress on Infectious Diseases in Malaysia June 2008
- Raguenaud, M.E., Isaakidis, P., Te, V., Soeung, S., Kazumi, A. & Zachariah, R. “Early mortality (pre and post antiretroviral treatment) amongst children with HIV/AIDS enrolled in two programs in Cambodia” presented by MSF at the International AIDS Conference in Mexico August 2008
- Neou, L., Partridge, J.P., Dung, K.T.K., Sayeed, S.A. & Martinez, A.M. “Barriers To Neonatal Care In Developing Countries” presented by Dr. Leakhena at Pediatric Academic Societies conference in Canada May 2007
- Soeung, S., Akao, K., Roth, N., Sing H. & Sullivan, S. “Vertical transmission of HIV among exposed infants presenting to a Cambodian children’s hospital” presented by Dr. Seitaboth at the 8th International Congress on AIDS in Asia and the Pacific in Sri Lanka August 2007
- Wuthiekanun, V., Ngoun, C.P., Putchhat, H., Lankla, S., Sin L., Bun, S., Peacock, S.J. & Day, N. “Detection of antibodies to Burkholderia pseudomallei in children in Siem Reap, Kingdom of Cambodia and presence of the organism in their environment” presented by Ms. Lina (AHC Lab microbiologist) at 5th World Melioidosis Conference in Thailand November 2007
- Yos, P., Chhomrath, S., Reynolds, J. & Kumar, V. “Melioidosis case report of a pediatric patient in Cambodia with extrapulmonary findings of mastoiditis and visceral abscesses” presented by Dr. Pagnarith at 5th World Melioidosis Conference in Thailand November 2007
Current ongoing research at AHC
- The impact of 3rd generation cephalosporin and carbapenem resistance in bloodstream infections caused by Gram-negative bacilli on mortality and length of stay in a Cambodian paediatric hospital.
- Prospective surveillance of children with invasive bacterial infections at Angkor Hospital for Children and the Satellite Clinic, Cambodia 2013-2015.
- Defining the causes of fever in children presenting to the Angkor Hospital for Children.
- “Acute Post-Streptococcal Glomerulonephritis (APSGN) in Cambodia: A Single-Center Retrospective Study”
- “Characterization of Thiamine Deficiency in Tachypneic Cambodian Infants”
- “International Research Consortium on Dengue Risk Assessment, Management and Surveillance”(www.idams.eu)
- “Improving diagnosis of Tuberculosis in HIV infected children in Asia”.
- “Paediatric ophthalmic infections at the Angkor Hospital for Children, Siem Reap, Cambodia”.
- “A prospective study of faecal parasitic infections among children in Cambodia”.
- “A Retrospective Study of Pyomyositis Infections among Children in Cambodia”.
- “A retrospective study of urinary tract infections among children in Cambodia”.
- “Retrospective study of factors that determine a negative blood culture in Cambodian children admitted to hospital and given a discharge diagnosis of Typhoid Fever, 2010-2012”