This past Saturday, 610 villagers (including 440 children) in Siem Reap Province fell ill to severe food poisoning. During an anti-child labor event, meat and vegetable sandwiches were provided to community members–it is thought that the vegetables were contaminated with pesticides and caused diarrhea, vomiting and dehydration among affected people, although all ingredients are being analyzed.
Villagers were sent to the local health center, and more serious cases were brought to Angkor Hospital for Children (AHC) and AHC’s Satellite Clinic for prolonged treatment. This unfortunate incident highlights the need for programs like AHC’s Capacity Building and Health Education Project: mass food poisonings are not uncommon in rural Cambodia because health literacy and regulations on food are low. Thanks to our generous supporters, AHC has been able to provide emergency treatment to a total of 150 seriously affected children.